The Countdown

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lift! For The Love Of God, Woman, Lift!

I am tired of hearing people, women and men, say silly, silly things about women lifting weights. "I don't want to get bulky!" "I'll look like a man!" "I don't want to have big muscles!" "I don't want a girl who's bigger than me." "I don't like thick thighs, they're so ugly!" "How can I get rid of these muscles before they get worse!?"

Unless your doctor has declared you the she-man, with testosterone levels that are off the charts, even greater than a man, none of this is going to happen. Ever. People always bring up female body builders. Have you seen them? Do they look normal? Not only do they do specialized work outs to get such results, they usually have a little friend called steroids. No woman just randomly sprouts enormous muscles.

If you start lifting, not only will your metabolism speed up (since a pound of muscle burns more than a pound of fat), you will look leaner, healthier, and be a lot stronger than women who simply run.

Now a days, people want to tone up, right? That six pack, those toned legs, those lean arms. Guess what...you're going to need weight training. Losing weight does not reveal an Adonis like body underneath. It has to be created. If you want to simply be thin, by all means, run. It's perfectly fine. But if you want that "toned body" that you see in the commercials or even at the beach, you're going to need some heavy lifting, and be able to ignore the BS.

So, no women, a year of lifting will not turn you into a monstrous she-hulk, stomping through the mall, your uterus falling on the floor along with anything else remotely feminine about you. You'll be fine, trust me. If not me, Stumptuous.

Love & Peace,

Gabby

1 comment: