The Countdown

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gaining

When you're on a weight-loss journey, the reality of gaining every once in a while is hard to face. I don't really like it. While I knew that the two pound addition to my frame would be a simple reality, not something I could avoid after gorging on food like cheesesteaks and ice cream--sometimes I lie in my bed afterwards and lamet that I wasn't given a good metabolism so that I could eat whatever I wanted like those thin people.

But there is a silver lining to this cloud. I've learned that perhaps even on vacation, I would like to make at least more thoughtful choices. I have the ability--I could have a choice of anything on the menu. I didn't need to eat that ice cream. But why didn't I make the choice? I'm not sure. Being able to enjoy food makes me happy. However, I enjoy food now, even when following my proper choices. Why do I get satisfaction out of eating a cheesesteak when eating a good chicken sandwich would bring me just as much?

Perhaps it's because it's "bad." If something is "bad," I feel like I'm cheating. It's like a naughty satisfaction. Like somehow, I am living and enjoying life more when I pick that Blizzard over a small gelato. I'm trying to know better, though. I need to keep my head about me at all times, because this is a LIFESTYLE change. Making conscious healthy choices for my body is something I should try and do all the time.

On top of that, if I had a metabolism like those skinny people, who don't need to worry about what they eat, then I wouldn't be learning how to eat properly. It'd be a lesson I'd learn much later, perhaps when I'm an overweight mother, which is something I don't want to face. I want to be healthy forever. I want my body to be strong forever. Learning how to eat now is something that is invaluable, not only for my body but for the fact that I get to practice it for a long time.

I'm not going to freak out. I did the right thing by getting on the scale, and the right thing again by measuring out my cereal before I ate it. I'll have a lean cuisine or oatmeal for lunch. I'm going to be fine. I can do this. I'm a third of the way there, and only 5 more pounds until I'm halfway there. 5 more after that and I'm two-thirds done. I can do this.

Speaking of which, I need to go to the gym today. Ugh. Arms. Ok, at least it's my favorite muscle group.

Love,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment