The Countdown

Monday, August 3, 2009

Inspiration? Motivation? Idolization? Or...Obsession!?

When dieting, I feel that it's hard to separate these three little devils before it becomes the fourth. I'm going to try to break it down, more to myself than the few floaters around this blog of ours.

Inspiration: Now, leaving out all the art that usually comes in with the word, try and think of your body's inspiration. Who do you want to look similar to in the end? Did you know this had a term? "Thinspiration." YouTube it, you'll see. Now, you see this body, and you like it, and it inspires you to want to do more for your own body. So a little inspiration seems good. But does it motivate you?

Motivation: Okay, you're now inspired. You saw the body and you wanted it. Now you find yourself doing things to achieve it. You've been motivated to take action. To bring yourself to your goal. Since, in this case, it is a body, you're eating right, working out, really going at it, but, even as you grow closer and closer to your goal, the original is doing/done it better. They're almost like your...idol.

Idolization: "Idolization, (verb: to idolize): as an excessive admiration, devotion, envy or attachment to a person or thing." You follow their body regiments to the letter, you admire their strength and their banging body. You devote yourself to getting to that level, maybe even becoming envious. What have you missed? What has gone wrong? You do what they have done, but it's not working. You're not the same. You have to keep looking, but you're not obsessed.

Obsession: Okay. At this point, just stop. Stop. Bodies are different for us all. If you're staring at a photo on the wall amongst photos of the same person, you've become obsessed with that body and image. 9/10, You don't achieve it. It's just not possible. We're not cookie cutter people. Can you create a more healthy you? Of course, but will you be the next greasy ho to be in a transformers movie? I doubt it.

I struggle with these things myself. I even have my own "thinspirtation" (Enter: Behka). She's a short little Korean girl with curves and is seen as a fat ass. I love her, but I don't know anything about her other than what she looks like and how she sounds. But does that motivate me? A little. I mean, going to the gym knowing that that level of hotness could be in my future does help me lace up the shoes on those more difficult mornings. Is she my idol? Nah.

Now, there is a woman on CC(calorie count) that is my idol. Lost 175 pounds in 16 months. She is my idol and motivation. I want that kind of loss and to look that way (healthy, normal, not bony, drained) at the end. Am I obsessed with her? Nope. I rarely even come in contact with her on the site, though I am friends with her. Other than that, we're on two different planets. And that's how I think it should be.

It's hard to not idolize and want a certain person's body without taking it overboard. It takes balance and an understanding of one's self to know when enough is enough.

Do I know? Well, come back to me when I'm starting going under my goal weight. :)

Love & Peace

Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment