The Countdown

Monday, August 3, 2009

Fat Acceptance Movement

"The fat acceptance movement, also known as the size acceptance movement, fat liberation movement or fat power, is a grassroots effort to change societal attitudes towards individuals who are fat"

I personally think it's a load of crap, but I see the reason behind it. After reading over Wikipedia's little page of info (found here), I see it more as a point to make people feel more comfortable about their current weight, not to abstain from exercise or change. People seem to think that "fat acceptance" is going to lead to a future of morbidly obese people waddling around the earth, not willing or wanting to change because the stigma around their weight is no longer talked about. I don't think that'll ever happen, but I can see the concern. As Americans grow bigger and bigger, more and more people are going to ask for acceptance. Should they have it? Well...

I think that stigma, that awkwardness that comes with being overweight is a nice fire burning under the asses of the morbidly obese, including myself. If the world let me be this weight (minus the health problems) and clothes fit, chairs were big enough, etc., would I want to change? Maybe, but I doubt it. I wouldn't have a reason to. But how big is this movement?

Enter: More To Love. This show is,in a nut shell, about a chubby chaser. People like to show this as fat acceptance leaking to the media. That this'll show the world that it's okay to be fat, that you cane even be loved!

Again, I think that's crap. The fact that they're separated is enough to show that there really isn't any acceptance going on for these real(fat) women. I don't think there will ever be true fat acceptance and, quite frankly, I don't want there to be. I don't want people to be treated poorly, but being over weight is unhealthy and I don't think people should feel that it's okay to put their body through all that.

Fat Acceptance Verdict: Don't make fun of us, but don't coddle us either.

Love & Peace,

Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment