The Countdown

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

High School...You Were A Jerk

While running on the treadmill today, I had a few thoughts about my highschool's fitness program, or lack there of, for overweight children.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why, after two years out of high school, I give a rat's ass, but I can hold a major grudge~

Anyways, highschool sucked. Gym wise anyway. It was like...they had never dealt with someone overweight. We were all weighed, and had to tell our weight to ANOTHER STUDENT to write down. Not a teacher, another immature highschooler. Who would know, who could tell, who could text, whatever. We had to run in the beginning of every gym, no biggy, however, when I couldn't run for five minutes, I was scolded and ostracized. Yelled at from across the gym about how slow I was.

I bring all this up, because, with the letters home saying I was fat (because my mom totally didn't notice), the "fitness tests" (Running as much as you could for a certain time (I was never last, but it was done in the open, so...it was embarrassing), push ups (I couldn't do 1, so that was sad) and sit ups (I COULD DO THEM ALL! SUCK IT SKINNY BITCHES) ), and public weighing, surprisingly, none of that motivated me to lose weight (the normal way at least).

High schools (Or, my highschool) need to know that being jerks to overweight people doesn't help...Like, at all. At least for me it didn't. I don't think anyone can lose weight until they're ready for it, not being embarrassed day in and day out about it, especially, if they're an emotional eater (I myself am a grazer). And thinking back on how terrible my school did at just...making themselves available, I think it would of been a much better experience, and much easier for people to ask for help in the first place. The reason I was able to ask my school's health center for help was because they didn't treat me like a monster, they didn't make me feel bad for what I couldn't do, and they helped and informed me without be patronizing.

High schoolers can be fat! But...really, did we need to be embarrassed? Maybe because all of our teachers were skinny and fit and perfect, they assumed that that was the norm. How sad.

Love & Peace

Gabby

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gabby,
    I came across your blog from calorie count. I sat (at work) and read through all your posts. I am amazed at your progress, persistence and patience. I am also amazed how well (and beautifully) you voice your thoughts. I am book marking your blog so that I can come back and look at it for motivation at my lowest points.

    Continue at your good work. I look forward to great results from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Rinku. :)
    It's nice to have someone watching. Thank you very much for stopping by as well. <3

    I wish you the best on your weight lost journey and other life endeavors. :)

    ReplyDelete